25.2.13

Some reactions to my decision to run this marathon


These are some reactions from a few of my friends and family after I told them of my plan:
Tradesies! 


My sister on her Facebook status "Pigs are flying in the sky" 

Another comment: "This is a sign of the Apocalypse"

When I told a coworker/friend: "You're going to lose."

Another two friends: "You would go all the way to Kenya."

When I told another friend: "You're going to lose."

When I told yet another guy friend: "Oh no."

And seriously, a third guy: "You're going to lose."

My conversation with a girlfriend on the phone:
Me: "Hey, I have something to tell you. You know how you're Miss Jock and you love to run and be at the gym?"

S.: "Yeah, yeah, I know, I won't make you come to the gym with me."   -SIDE NOTE, a couple of years ago she tried to set me up on a date with her trainer.  It was our first (only) fight. 

Me: "No, no, it's not that. I'm actually going to run a marath-"

S.: "Wait? What? You're going to run? Did you say run? I don't think I heard you."

Me: "Yes, but wait, let me tell you-"

S.: "You're going to run? What for?"

Me: "I'm going to run a marathon in Kenya fo-"

S.: "You're running a marathon in Virginia?! OMG are you serious? When? You have to start training now. I'll go run with you sometime this week. Why Virginia?"

Me: "Uh, nooooo, I'M GOING TO RUN A MARATHON, IN KEEEEENNNNNNYAAA, IN AFRICA, FOR A FANTASTIC CAUSE!"
It was the longest announcement of my week.

And finally when I told my dad a few minutes ago on the phone. All in Spanish, btw.

Me: "Hi dad, I have something very important to tell you. I'm going to run a marathon in Kenya.  The cause is for sending the Maasai girls to school..." I continue into detail "... and I was thinking I was going to train for the full marathon but I guess I'll do the half..."

His response, "No, no, no, you can do the full. I ran in university..." NEWS TO ME! "... look, you are fit, and start slow, do one kilometre, rest, next time do a little more, and by September you will be able to do the full marathon.  Just don't do a lot right now, build up to it. Also, you're little and light, it should be easy for you.  So, how's your sister?" 
Photo by Sarah Edson via http://www.amazingmaasaiultra.org/

All 3 times I heard "You're going to lose" was said in a straight face and that one makes me laugh a lot.
  
I have have a circle of beautiful friends and family that are so supportive and funny.  So many have called and messaged me with tips and words of encouragement.  Maybe I don't fully understand the seriousness of running a marathon, I think I'm in the Ignorance is Bliss part of my journey.

Have you ever run a marathon? If so, what made you want to run it? How was your first marathon?

Oh, and one more thing, I will only lose if I don't go.

Hugs, kisses and running shoes,
Rocio Ildemaro






1 comment:

  1. Anonymous25/2/13

    When your running for charity no one loses.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails